[asterisk-users] Re: wct4xxp problem

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 03:10:32 MST 2007

Tomislav Parcina wrote:
> Steve Totaro wrote:
>> All providers will do this if a line is in alarm for a couple days.
>> The FIRST thing to do is call them and make sure it is turned up.
>> Once and only once was I called prior to the CO/NOC turning down a
>> circuit that had been in alarm for two days straight.
>
> Yes, and before they turn down the line they should call you and check
> what's wrong. What if that was your backup line and you haven't
> noticed that it's in red alarm? Then one day when you need that line
> it doesn't work.

They "should" but as I said, I have only had the call once out of
several dozens of instances.  What the telco "should" do is more often
not what is done.

If any of your lines are in red alarm long enough to be turned down, and
you have not noticed (including a backup link) then YOU need to do a
better job.  Is it the job of the telco to monitor your CPE and alert
you to your own problems?  They call it a Demarc for a reason and what
is beyond it is your responsibility.

I would suggest using some sort of monitoring system if you are too lazy
or just don't have the time to log into a few boxes and check the
status.  I take a few minutes in the morning to look around the data
center for LEDs, log into a few boxes to check for status, and glance
over logs.

At any rate, a simple call and they turn it back up.

Thanks,
Steve