[asterisk-users] Microsoft launches first PABX

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Thu Mar 22 14:10:15 MST 2007

Quoting shadowym <shadowym at hotmail.com>:

> I just watched the webinar on this product.
>
> Very few technical details or details of any kind.  They just talked about
> how easy it is to add an extension without having to pay some guy to come
> out and do it.

yeah, that's if you can get your networking setup done for nothing, all its
doing is transferring the need for infrastructure from phone to data side of
cabling/hardware - not that I am against that, but its still not free or
effortless to do.

For low data volume yeah its pretty simple, but start to get vlans and
priority
and qos all rolled in and for most companies you've got outside help with a
bill there before you know it. Not to mention are you going to trust some M$
based virus collector on the same physical network as something important and
secure without firewalls between ?

The only feature that looked interesting was the voice
> recognition.  It seemed to work pretty good at recognizing names and then
> dialing.  They also talked about how you only need to press the one
> "special" button on the phone and the rest could be done with the voice
> recognition.  Looks like it will be able to integrate or import outlook
> contacts which is no big deal.
>
> You will need an additional ATA gateway to connect to the PSTN unless your
> using a VoIP provider.  No mention of standards based protocols or the
> ability to use 3rd party phones, gateways, VoIP providers etc.
>
> In other words, you gotta drink the M$ coolaid and use Dlink or the other
> two manufacturers hardware.  The phone looks pretty cheap.
>
> Nothing to get too excited about overall IMHO!  There is already similar
> stuff out there from Linksys etc.
>
> My 2 cents.

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com