[asterisk-users] G729 'disappears' randomly

Rajeev Natarajan twogigbox at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:24:54 MST 2007

All,

I have around 10 opteron 165 servers all running Fedora Core 5 and Asterisk
1.2.x (mostly Asterisk 1.2.16) with 15-25 channels of g729 each. They
register without any problem but I had to use the codec_g729.so
corresponding to the i386 version in all of them (asterisk would not start
if i tried the opteron specific one).

The problem: In one of the servers, we seem to lose the registration after a
restart - 'show g729' simply does not work! A restart (or two!) of the
server after that and things seem fine and show g729 shows the correct
number of channels registered. This happens fairly randomly and have no clue
why this happens only on this one machine. What we've tried:
1. permissions on codec_g729a.so - they seem fine
2. overwriting the .so file and restarting asterisk - doesn't work
3. restarting asterisk a few times - doesn't work
4. permissions on .lic file - they seem fine

but none of the above seem to work. The only resolution seems to be to keep
our fingers crossed while we restart the server!

Ideas / thoughts more than welcome!

thanks
rajeev