[asterisk-users] High Pitched Noise

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:13:09 MST 2007

Hi Rob -

> After about having the server running for about an hour, our callers
> occationally hear a high pitched beep that lasts the entire call. In
> some cases, the noise doesn't start until a minute or 2 into the call,
> while others last the entire call. In some of the more serious cases,
> calls are dropped after the noise has occurred as well.
>
> Another symptom has been really bad static on a specific channel. After
> reseating the card to try to fix both this as well as the problem above,
> the problem usually goes away, but it seems to come back quicker each
> time. Also, the channel that the static occurs on changes after each
> reseating (after some time).

What kind of PSTN lines are they?  If they're POTS lines, can you plug
a regular phone in and test the noise then?  Also have you looked at
other hardware devices inside the asterisk box?  I've heard disk
drives (hard, floppy, optical) that make loud enough noises that they
interfere with analog phone lines.  Do you have another machine to
test the card in?

- Noah