[asterisk-users] asterisk on debian

Alex Robar alex.robar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:23:01 MST 2007

Hi Josu,

I've done it both ways, and they both generally work equally well (so long
as the package maintainers are doing a decent job). As Victor mentioned
though, the version you wish to install plays a factor in this. I found the
Asterisk build in the repos to be a bit out dated.

Also, it's always bothered me having to wait on another party to create a
package so that I can fix a security vulnerability. I've just gone with the
straight from source method for now, but that's all personal opinion on that
matter really.

The bottom line is that if you want the latest and greatest (in terms of
both feature sets and security updates), build it yourself. Apt-get may be
easier, but there's plenty of good guides to get you going with building
from source.

Alex

On 3/20/07, Josu Lazkano Lete <jlazkano at somesi.com> wrote:

>  hello friends,
>
> I want to install Asterisk on a Debian machine.
>
> I need to download the sources or just with apt-get install is enought???
>

> thanks

Alex Robar
alex.robar at gmail.com