[asterisk-users] IAX2 and Faxing

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:41:55 MST 2007

There are two ways that you can implement reliable faxing:

1) Implement end-to-end QoS and insure that latency is very low and
there is no jitter. Should be 95% reliable, more or less depending on
the quality of the link. Most people don't have the ability. It's not
possible with ADSL, not technically but all the large carriers are
moving away from dedicated PVCs, concentrated best effort is the best
you get. T1 + LAN generally works well without any tweaking. Use ulaw
for T1 alaw for E1, if you are sending to another VoIP provider you
still need QoS.

2) Use T.38. Should be 99% reliable assuming that you have minimal
jitter a decent amount of bandwidth and still latency below 250ms.
Digium IAXY does not support T.38, Asterisk support in T.38 is
generally lacking, unless you use 1.4 and send your calls to a SIP
provider that supports T.38 you aren't going anywhere.