[asterisk-users] Teliax problems, they say use SIP, more mature & better working than IAX

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Mon Mar 19 13:51:59 MST 2007

We have a Teliax IAX trunk that we use as an overflow for our four
regular business lines into our local Asterisk PBX (Trixbox). We have
our Teliax account set up so that it goes to a Teliax voicemail box if
it cannot reach our Asterisk server, and we have the channel set up for
5 simultaneous connections. Occasionally, calls are sent to the Teliax
voicemail box for no apparent reason. In this case, we get this message
in our local Asterisk log:

DEBUG[3129] chan_iax2.c: Raw Hangup 07.174.202.3:4569,src=0, dst=214

I've done tests on the weekend where I'm calling with one and two phones
continually. Once the local asterisk box picks up, I hang up. There is
no other traffic at the time. One time I did 75 calls in about 25
minutes, and 9 of them failed this way and went to voicemail. Another
time, 88 calls went through fine, then 4 went straight to voicemail.
Most of the time I was dialing from two phones simultaneously. In no
case did one of the two calls go through while the other failed. However
it was usually only seconds after a successful call, and seconds after
calls would go through successfully again. During this period I was
connected to the Asterisk box from a remote location (where I was
placing the calls to the Teliax number), so I don't think the entire IP
connection was going out. I was the only one placing any calls in or out
of the Asterisk box during these tests.

The Teliax support person (note the IAX in the name) wrote: "You may
want to try changing to SIP as it is a more mature protocol and seems to
work better in general." Is it the general experience on the list that
SIP is more mature and reliable than IAX? We like the fact that we don't
have to open inbound ranges of ports for IAX to work. We are in Atlanta
and we're connecting to a Teliax POP in Colorado. They've been talking
about opening an Atlanta POP since at least April of last year. Do you
think a provider with a closer point of presence would not have this
problem so much? Considering the fact that we do see a message in the
logs, and that we are able to keep up other IP streams, would you agree
the problem is not our general IP connectivity? Any idea what in general
causes the "Raw Hangup" message appearing in our logs and is it likely
to be on our end, their end, or either?

Scott