[asterisk-users] Dell poweredge 860 acceptable for office environment ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Mar 19 12:41:35 MST 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Olivier wrote:

> 2007/3/17, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net>:
>>
>> How about a mini tower type unit? I've just bought one of these:
>>
>> http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=40&l3=121&model=1017&modelmenu=2
>>
>> Or if you really need to put it in a rack, a fanless 1GHz Via processor in
>> a 1U rack fitted with a 2.5" laptop drive will more than satisfy your
>> needs for 10 users.
>>
>> Gordon
>

> Both suggestions deserve to be remembered.
> For the later one (fanless rack), I would need to identify provisioning
> sources as these componants are not easy to find.

That's going to be a country specific thing, alas. I'm in the UK...

Motherboard:

   http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=90

(you need to add memory to it)

Rack cases from the same site, but check motherboard compatability.

I have a couple of routers in the rackmount boxes, with 1GHz EK
motherboards:

   http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=118

but theyre not fanless - however the fans are speed controlled and stay
stopped all the time (and they run cool to the touch!)

Be careful of the cache ram size though - the CN boards have Via
processors with 128KB cache, the EK boards have 64KB cache, however my R&D
VIA boards are 533MHz with 64KB cache and have handled 12 simultaneous
calls without any issues (all G711, no transcoding) so with fast memory
you should be just fine if you go down this route.

For the mini towers, the only place in the UK I've found is Landmarq:
http://www.landmarq.co.uk/

Or:

  https://www.landmarq.eu/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=288

Gordon