[asterisk-users] Re: Replacement Wiki - options (Formerly 'status of voip-info')

Davis Sylvester III davis at 5-9Networks.com
Sun Mar 18 14:09:59 MST 2007

Michiel ten Hagen wrote:
> I also see the need for an asterisk only wiki.
>
> That is the reason I have started one at http://www.asterisk-wiki.org/
> the information from voip-info.org is being added now as a starting
> point.
>
> Ofcourse the success of this wiki will depends on the information
> posted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michiel ten Hagen
>
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 16:05 -0600, Ira Burton wrote:
>
>> I would take an alternative stance and say that an Asterisk only
>> solution is needed.
>> This is a wildly growing product with nearly limitless
>> possibilities.
>> Trying to cram too much on a site just causes confusion.
>>
>> KISS (no I am not calling anybody in particular stupid.)
>>
>> On 3/15/07, Davis Sylvester III <davis at 5-9networks.com> wrote:
>>         Michael Collins wrote:
>>         >> I would suggest that we create a new wiki, make it solely
>>         for Asterisk
>>         >> topics, as not to offend or replace voip-info.  Build
>>         mirrors to
>>         >> multiple sites and multiple domain names.  This would give
>>         this
>>         >> community a second resource with redundancy which is what I
>>         think ALL
>>         >>
>>         > of
>>         >
>>         >> us are looking for.  I have taken the pleasure, of
>>         registering the
>>         >> domain name ASTERISKONLINE.ORG.
>>         >>
>>         >
>>         > I would like to know what the community feels about an
>>         Asterisk-only
>>         > wiki.  I can see pros and cons of Asterisk-only vs.
>>         > Asterisk/FreeSwitch/Yate/OpenPBX/etc.  My gut says keep it
>>         open for
>>         > everything OSS/VoIP.  (I have no logical reason for feeling
>>         that way -
>>         > it's just a gut feeling.)
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >> I will donate a dedicated server with bandwidth to the
>>         cause.  I am
>>         >> looking for additional people to help populate the wiki
>>         with useful
>>         >> information and to help maintain the site.  I would suggest
>>         that ee
>>         >>
>>         > have
>>         >
>>         >> maybe 4 or 5 mirrors to start off and a core group of
>>         admins to help
>>         >> maintain the site.
>>         >>
>>         >
>>         > Thanks for putting your money where your mouth is!  This is
>>         the kind of
>>         > action the community needs.
>>         >
>>         >
>>         >> I am willing to work with anyone else that is about
> [...]
Guys, I understand the reasoning, but don't you think that we have had
enough volunteers for a asterisk-Only wiki / site for information.  It
is my opinion that if we keep registering domain name and keep trying to
keep multiple areas for resources, the community will have to idea where
to look for accurate and up-to-date information.

I will be the 1st to offer my domain name to support a single site/cause
for asterisk only information.  That doesn't mean we can't have multiple
mirrors, but the information and site must be the same.

I would suggest that we join forces and start putting this together as a
team, instead of as individuals.  If anyone wants to join forces to form
this team, let me know and let's get it moving forward.

It this point I don't care what the domain name is, lets just work
together for a common cause.