[asterisk-users] Dell poweredge 860 acceptable for office environment ?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Mar 17 05:09:44 MST 2007

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Olivier wrote:

> I'm really after 1U-2U silent servers as I've got the feeling most of them
> are too noisy for offices and most of our clients don't have server rooms.

How about a mini tower type unit? I've just bought one of these:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=9&l2=40&l3=121&model=1017&modelmenu=2

and while the fans can crank themselves up to full turbo mode, when
running all the usual stuff I do to soaktest my servers, they've stayed at
the lowest possible speed and have been very quiet.

(and you can stuff GB of RAM and a dual-core processor in it which would
satisfy the asterisk needs of a small office trivially!)

Or if you really need to put it in a rack, a fanless 1GHz Via processor in
a 1U rack fitted with a 2.5" laptop drive will more than satisfy your
needs for 10 users.

Gordon

[I notice the list, or probably a subscriber is duplicating posts again )-: ]