[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.2.13 Caller ID problem

Griepentrog Scott scott.griepentrog at thomson.net
Fri Mar 16 12:13:22 MST 2007

Short answer: No.

Long answer: The name is carried by voip, but not past the voip to pstn transition - only the number is passed.  When the PSTN company ringing the phone on the other end generates the caller ID, it will take the number and look it up (in either it's own database or one it subscribes to) to get the name to send along with the number.  So, no hope of doing anything with the name, only the number.

As PSTN companies start using VoIP more for trunking and even customer termination, this may start to change.  Maybe.  Someday.  A long time from now.  Or I could be completely wrong...