[asterisk-users] Dell poweredge 860 acceptable for office environment ?

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Fri Mar 16 05:53:36 MST 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:08:54PM +0100, Olivier said:
> I'm really after 1U-2U silent servers as I've got the feeling most of them
> are too noisy for offices and most of our clients don't have server rooms.

Herin lies the problem. Slimline rackmount servers require several small fans
operating at high speeds to remove the heat. Any fan at high RPM is
going to be noisy.

You are better off going with a larger box like a 4 or 5U unit with
a couple larger PWM fans than can be slowed down and therefor be much
more quiet. Seagate hard drives (SATA) also tend to be more quiet than
server class scsi drives, or other brands.

In a server, it's tough to get "silent", but you can sure get a lot
better than average. Servers in general tend to be noisier because they
tend to be in closets or server rooms.