[asterisk-users] Re: SIP unicode support ?

Thu Mar 15 08:34:38 MST 2007

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Benny Amorsen wrote:
>>
>> KD> Hi! Is there unicode support in Asterisk for SIP? E.g. How can I
>> KD> have a displayname with special characters?
>>
>> KD> E.g. if I want to have the Umlaut ä in the display name:
>> KD> callerid=Jeff Gräser <11>
>>
>> Is your sip.conf UTF-8-encoded?
>
> Will it work with UTF-8 encoded sip.conf?

By converting sip.conf into UTF-8 I manged to display german Umlaute äöü
on a SNOM 360 softphone. But I had no luck with háček like ǎ. But I
think this is a limitation of the SNOM phone.

Obviously Asterisk treat the UTF-8 encoding just as characters and send
them without knowing that is is unicode. Is it safe to use UTF-8 encoded
configuration files?

regards
klaus

--