[asterisk-users] While the VoIP-Info.org site is down...

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Thu Mar 15 07:07:58 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:

>Patrick May wrote:
>

>>On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 10:05:20PM -0400, Matt wrote:
>>

>>>Yikes.. you'd think a server would be running RAID.
>>>
>>>At any rate.. Please feel free to visit http://www.voip-wiki.us
>>>
>>>I have set this up to be able to hold information for the Asterisk
>>>community.  I will also gladly allow others to mirror it.
>>>
>>>It is sitting in a climate controlled data center in Central PA on a server
>>>with RAID.  Additionally, it is at the end of 95Megabytes/second on a BGP
>>>redundant connection.
>>>
>>>Please feel free to use it, if the community feels it can be useful...
>>>additionally, I would love to setup some rsync mirrors with others so that
>>>we can have redundant backups of this very valuable information.
>>>

>>The previous message to the list was they lost 3 of 4 drives in the array.
>>I'm not sure of any RAID that can sustain 75% hardware loss and still function.
>>

>As somebody else has already pointed out -- "There must be more to it."
>Let's say three of four drives failed -- the odds of them failing at the
>same time are vanishingly slim; but if you're not paying attention, and
>you operate with a degraded volume, well... then you get what you deserve.
>
>RAID or no RAID, the site should have one or more mirrors.
>
>-Stephen-

The odds of multiple drive failure are a lot higher than you think.
Failing power supplies or power spikes are common to all drives and
controller failure on a drive can throw noise back onto the SCSI bus
causing corruption on other drives. Although the other affected drives
are not physically damaged, your data has evaporated none the less.

We have already had one multi-drive RAID failure on our main file server
(only one drive was physically failed) and a single drive and power
supply failure on our Asterisk box. RAID 1 and redundant power supplies
saved the day.

Spring and Fall are the special Hardware Failure Seasons! Seems to
affect power supplies, hard drives and light bulbs in particular.

regards,

Drew

--
Drew Gibson