[asterisk-users] voip-info.org status update

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Thu Mar 15 07:05:13 MST 2007

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

>On Thursday 15 March 2007 12:32 am, shadowym wrote:
>

>>Hard to expect the business community to take Asterisk seriously when this
>>sort of stuff happens IMHO.  I can't understand how 3 of 4 hard drives
>>could just suddenly fail simultaneously.  There must be more too it.  No
>>UPS? Someone spilled their coffee into it?  Something!
>>

>Obviously you didn't read Google's research paper on drive failures.  And
>aside from that, you're also obviously pushing an agenda with these inciteful
>comments.

There are also hardware raid controller failures to deal with. To make
it worse, allowing the wrong person to replace failed drives and
controllers can be disastrous. As for backup, they reported that it will
be back up and running. That would be hard to do without backup when 3
of 4 drives failed.

Suppose you are running raid5 on 3 drives with a 4th as ready spare?
Suppose that overheating is a factor? One of the drives fails and the
system begins building the spare in the background. Then the spare
fails. Then 1 of the 2 remaining drives fails.

Some of us can spec out a fancy new server that comes with a 24/7
fast-response service contract. Then the complainers can donate the
money to buy it and put it in a good data center.