[asterisk-users] Sped up recordings with 1.4.1

Joshua Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Wed Mar 14 12:51:03 MST 2007

Normally I manage to figure stuff out on my own, but this one is driving me
absolutely bonkers...

I'm working with an Asterisk box at work, running 1.4.1 on a Core2 Duo
machine with kernel 2.6.19.1. There's a quad T1 card (older tor2) in the
machine, though this problem happens if I just use ztdummy too. The box
isn't actually on the PSTN yet so I'm testing with Ekiga, using uncompressed
ulaw audio.

The issue I'm seeing is that  any time I try to record audio to make prompts
the result comes back sounding sped up, but the pitch is the same. It's
sounds like it has dropped every other audio packet. At first I thought it
was the Dictate app so I did a quick extension hack with Record but it does
the same thing. It's definitely a recording issue because if I transfer the
recorded files to my workstation and play them back manually they sound the
same.

What's REALLY got me confused though is that if I run an echo test, it works
beautifully...crystal clear audio with no discernible delays or distortions.
I am taking that to mean my network connection between workstation and PBX
is ok and that Ekiga is transmitting audio ok.

I've quadruple checked everything I can think of, short of replacing the
entire box. The results from zttest are rock solid at 99.987% both with just
ztdummy and with the card, and the machine doesn't exhibit any symptoms of
hardware issues. I've spent a good half a day drudging through google and
the Digium bug reporting system and can't find any reference to this
problem.

Any ideas?