[asterisk-users] What is the best phone to get when using a headset?

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Wed Mar 14 11:26:15 MST 2007

Bruce Reeves wrote:
> Cory,
>
> Are the Polycom phones able to detect that the headset is off-hook? We
> have had problems with 2 different brands of headsets working fine but
> the phones seem unaware of the headset's hook state.

We're working with a client who uses headsets on Polycom phones,
specifically the IP 650 (I've asked questions about headset gain in the
IRC channel).

Anyway -- these headsets are Plantronics direct-connect headsets which
were initially intended for a Plantronics base unit. The headsets work
(and it's nice to be free of the hardware) but they are plagued by the
same gain problems described by Gareth.

The Polycom phones allow you to adjust transmit and receive gain in the
provisioning configuration files, which is essential if you're going to
use unamplified hardware. I have cranked the gain all the way up, and
while audibility is now excellent, the echo has been exacerbated. I
think the echo can be attributed in part the low quality of the hybrid
in the headset itself, because the echo problem is worse when using the
headset than the handset; the other possibility is that there is no echo
cancellation being done on the headset circuit in the Polycom chassis,
but I highly doubt this; finally, it might simply be that the gain is
too high for the EC to handle it.

The other problem with the 650 in particular is that it is a wideband
phone; currently I know of only one make and model of wideband headset
that is specified to work with this wideband phone, and that's the
Plantronics HW251N and HW261N (monoaural and binaural models).

The problem with that? They only come with a quick disconnect and must
be used with the Plantronics Vista M22 wideband headset amp -- which
requires a power source, either batteries or a wall adapter. The one
good thing about the amp is that it has integrated echo cancellation
(they call it "echo management", which sounds like a lame hedge :) ) and
was designed with VoIP in mind.

And then Polycom actually recommends an amplified headset for use with
their phones. But the users don't like that -- it's extra hardware
taking up valuable real estate on the desk; given the cost of the
phones, they're not thrilled with having to buy additional hardware.

We're going to try a few more things before we give up and get the amp
and wideband headset, but I thought it would be useful to share what
I've learned thus far, as it seems to be a common problem.