[asterisk-users] Nomination for Coolest App in 2007

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Mar 14 07:37:45 MST 2007

I was part of an onsite USAID project to evaluate and help rebuild the
infrastructure in war torn West Africa (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea).
A great experience to truly realize what down and out is, but more
importantly, see what real hope and the excitement that a new democracy
is.

Interestingly, when war broke out in these areas, land lines were cut.
Probably partially to prevent communication but I was told it was
actually more the locals that used the copper in the lines to make pots
and pans.

Everything was prepaid cellular.  GSM gateways were the only way to
connect a PBX and they were quite expensive.  With this app, a smaller
NGO with not little funding could setup a nice PBX a few cell phones
doing triple duty as extensions, FXO ports, and an SMS gateway.
Everything is pre-paid there since there is no such thing as credit.

Another interesting (from an American's perspective anyways) is that
inbound calls on cell phones are free.  Even if you buy a SIM with a
little pre-paid time and use up the time, you can still receive inbound
calls for free for a couple months.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
http://www.asteriskhelpdesk.com