[asterisk-users] FW: Seamless Multi Office Asterisk Deployment

Bruce Reeves asterisk at nortex-networks.com
Mon Mar 12 15:01:06 MST 2007

Brandon

Your on the right track with what is can do. It will also be good to
look into what kind of QOS you can do on the T-1 connections between
offices. I have an 8 office setup similar to this and many of your
goals I have achieved and would be glad to offer ideas and such if you
want to email me off list.

On 3/12/07, Brandon Comouche <brandon at snofalls.com> wrote:

> Hello
>

> I have a brief and a long question about a possible Asterisk deployment I am
> planning.
>

> Long Story Short:
>
> I have four total offices, one main and three remote. All offices are
> connected using dedicated network T1 lines creating one unified network
> across offices. I would like to know if it is possible to set up an Asterisk
> system with the following capabilities:
>
> - Branch Unification (I know this can be done)
>
> - Branch Independence (In case of T1 network Failure, PSTN line failover at
> each branch)
>
> - Roaming Extensions (A user can go to any office and log in to a phone –
> hopefully check voice mail as well)
>
> Basically, I am asking if Asterisk can be a system that will seamlessly
> operate as one big system and handle failovers as well.
>

> After spending hours playing with Asterisk, reading voip-info.org, and
> watching this list, it seems that Asterisk can handle anything. I just would
> like re-assurance that I am not chasing a lost cause. A simple Yes or No
> answer is acceptable to me. Below I have a long version of what I am trying
> to do if anyone is in the mood to give me more pointers J
>

>   Brandon
>
> (Long Version Follows)
>

> Long Story Version:
>
> Here is what I have to work with:
>
> - Four Offices (One main and three remote)
>
> - Dedicated T1 lines connecting three remote offices to one main office (all
> connections made through the main office)
>
> - Will have a T1 Voice line at the main office
>
> - Three PSTN lines at each remote office
>

> Essentially what I would like to do is create a system comparable to the
> ShoreTel ShoreGear product line (if you are familiar with it). This system
> will seamlessly unite all offices as one and provide failover in the case of
> line outage. It also allows users to roam from phone to phone across offices
> seamlessly. It has many more features, but those are two main features I am
> looking for. About 40 total phones will be deployed. To make it even more
> difficult, I would like all user extensions to start the same (i.e. across
> offices all extensions are 5### with no discernable pattern).
>

> Progress so far:
>
> At this time I have determined that I will need a server at each office as
> well as a T1 card (TE110P) at the Main office and the four port TDM PSTN
> cards at each remote office. I plan on using the Polycom IP 430 or 501
> (Undecided, 501 if required). I have been using TrixBox to this point, would
> like to continue if possible. It appears that I will want to use DunDi in
> some fashion to unite the branches.
>

> My main roadblock right now is trying to figure out how to get all the
> information across the offices at the same time (extensions, voicemail). I
> have successfully had two boxes communicate, but what I am looking for is
> much more complex I feel. I have thought of synchronized MySQL databases,
> [...]

Bruce
Nortex Networks