[asterisk-users] FW: Seamless Multi Office Asterisk Deployment

Brandon Comouche brandon at snofalls.com
Mon Mar 12 10:11:12 MST 2007

Hello

I have a brief and a long question about a possible Asterisk deployment
I am planning.

Long Story Short:

I have four total offices, one main and three remote. All offices are
connected using dedicated network T1 lines creating one unified network
across offices. I would like to know if it is possible to set up an
Asterisk system with the following capabilities:

- Branch Unification (I know this can be done)

- Branch Independence (In case of T1 network Failure, PSTN line failover
at each branch)

- Roaming Extensions (A user can go to any office and log in to a phone
- hopefully check voice mail as well)

Basically, I am asking if Asterisk can be a system that will seamlessly
operate as one big system and handle failovers as well.

After spending hours playing with Asterisk, reading voip-info.org, and
watching this list, it seems that Asterisk can handle anything. I just
would like re-assurance that I am not chasing a lost cause. A simple Yes
or No answer is acceptable to me. Below I have a long version of what I
am trying to do if anyone is in the mood to give me more pointers :-)

  Brandon

(Long Version Follows)

Long Story Version:

Here is what I have to work with:

- Four Offices (One main and three remote)

- Dedicated T1 lines connecting three remote offices to one main office
(all connections made through the main office)

- Will have a T1 Voice line at the main office

- Three PSTN lines at each remote office

Essentially what I would like to do is create a system comparable to the
ShoreTel ShoreGear product line (if you are familiar with it). This
system will seamlessly unite all offices as one and provide failover in
the case of line outage. It also allows users to roam from phone to
phone across offices seamlessly. It has many more features, but those
are two main features I am looking for. About 40 total phones will be
deployed. To make it even more difficult, I would like all user
extensions to start the same (i.e. across offices all extensions are
5### with no discernable pattern).

Progress so far:

At this time I have determined that I will need a server at each office
as well as a T1 card (TE110P) at the Main office and the four port TDM
PSTN cards at each remote office. I plan on using the Polycom IP 430 or
501 (Undecided, 501 if required). I have been using TrixBox to this
point, would like to continue if possible. It appears that I will want
to use DunDi in some fashion to unite the branches.

My main roadblock right now is trying to figure out how to get all the
information across the offices at the same time (extensions, voicemail).
I have successfully had two boxes communicate, but what I am looking for
is much more complex I feel. I have thought of synchronized MySQL
databases, but I do not know if that will work the way I wish.

If anyone reads this far ;) I am looking for suggestions for routes I
might consider or places I should/could look for more information. I am
relatively new to Asterisk, but I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.
If something I said did not make any sense or if there is more
information I could provide, I am happy to help where I can. Thank you
for your time and assistance.

  Brandon Comouche
    An IT Guy