[asterisk-users] Compiling smsq in 1.2

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:03:08 MST 2007

>From: "Yuan LIU" <yliu11 at hotmail.com>
>Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 13:58:00 -0800
>
>How to compile smsq in 1.2?  It is compile in 1.4 by default.  It is
>included in 1.2.13, but not compiled.  Any rule or method to make it?

Problem solved after upgrading to 1.2.16.  Two points:

1) There was indeed a rule to make smsq - in fact it should be built in a
normal compilation.  But it did not.  To force compilation, use
$ make utils/smsq

2) The reason it did not was two folded.  First, my Ubuntu installation did
not include popt.h, so the above command complained this first.  To obtain
this header file, package libpopt-dev is required.  But even after
installing the required package, 1.2.13 still won't compile smsq due to
numerous symbol reference errors.

To fully install smsq, I upgraded to 1.2.16.  Boom!  All compiled with no
problem.  Even on a system that did not have libpopt-dev during first
compilation, make utils/smsq did the trick after installing the package.

- The compilation process (1.2.13 and 1.2.16) gives no error or warning
message when it detects missing popt.h; it very quietly ignored the problem
and happily reports a successful build even though a documented component is
missing.

Hope these notes can help someone else.

Yuan Liu