[asterisk-users] Which VoIP router and switch to use for medium size business

Henry Cobb henry.cobb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 04:51:56 MST 2007

On 3/10/07, Lacy Moore - Aspendora <aspendora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/10/07, Henry Cobb <henry.cobb at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So get a second broadband connection and run only voice on it.
>
> Has anyone tried this?
>
> I have been thinking about this.  We're getting so much spam that I
> think it's taking up too much of our bandwidth.  I'm wondering how
> much bandwidth all the script kiddies take up scanning things as well.

That won't be a problem if you've got almost every port blocked at the firewall.

Sell this to your client on the basis of uptime. "You wouldn't want
your phones to be unusable just because your ISP has a routing
problem."

Buy two links of the same size from two different kinds of providers
and put the tiny trickle of voice on the best link and your hordes of
data on the non so good link.

Then sign up for two different VoIP providers and use whichever is
best on your best internet link as your primary with the other as
backup.

Then all you have to do is ensure that everything on the phone to
internet route has UPS protection.  (A standby PBX PC wouldn't hurt
either.)

-HJC