[asterisk-users] Which VoIP router and switch to use for medium size business

Henry Cobb henry.cobb at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 02:58:37 MST 2007

On 3/9/07, Zeeshan Zakaria <zishanov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking of going with HWEC and also using a good QoS switch. Right now
> there is only one switch (don't remember the name) and it is handling all
> the VoIP and data traffic. Sometimes voice breaks, and it must be because of
> interference from data traffic. But this is not a very serious problem and
> one switch with QoS should be able to handle it. Am I right here? Even if
> someone starts using P2P software.

Not a chance.

Most of your traffic is doubtlessly downloads such as web and spam mail.

A QoS device on your side of the link can only reduce the amount of
stuff you send (which isn't much) and can't do anything about the
massive amount of downloaded stuff that is getting in the way of voice
packets being sent to you.

So get a second broadband connection and run only voice on it.

-HJC