[asterisk-users] Which VoIP router and switch to use for medium size business

Zeeshan Zakaria zishanov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 19:45:12 MST 2007

Gordon, thanks for such a detailed and full of information email. It helped
me and must have helped hundreds of others on this mailing list.

In my scenario, for this client whom I am working for, their main issue has
always been echo. They have about 50 extensions, with 20 in the office, busy
office, calls all the time, up to 5 at any given time, 10 remote extensions
and other virtual extensions just for voicemail purposes. 5 IVRs and 4
queues, one VoIP line and main trunk a T1 PRI. PRI is used for all incoming
and outgoing calls except for long distance calls where VoIP line is used.

I am thinking of going with HWEC and also using a good QoS switch. Right now
there is only one switch (don't remember the name) and it is handling all
the VoIP and data traffic. Sometimes voice breaks, and it must be because of
interference from data traffic. But this is not a very serious problem and
one switch with QoS should be able to handle it. Am I right here? Even if
someone starts using P2P software.

Current router is a linksys WRT54GL - Wireless-G Broadband Router. Is it
good enough if I get a good switch? Can you suggest which switch I should
get. I was looking on the Internet and found switches like Adtran NetVanta
which are very expensive. What do they do which makes them so expensive? And
in my case, is that the type of switch which I need or is there something
cheaper out there too. I am ok without PoE.