[asterisk-users] When to use Echo Cancellation cards?

shadowym shadowym at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:13:14 MST 2007

With hw echo cancellation you are pretty much guaranteed to not have any
problems.  At least with Sangoma cards.  I cannot speak for the other
manufacturers.  I believe most of not all HWEC also does other things to
help clean up the sound and maybe even add background noise etc. so the over
all sound quality is improved as well.

Some installations will work fine just with the included SWEC, some will
not. Some will sort of kind of sometimes work ok maybe.  No scientific way
to determine if you will need it or not.  I believe the farther away you are
from the phone companies exchange the more likely you will need it.

With Sangoma cards, I believe you have the option of ordering without HWEC
from your supplier and if you find you need it, you can send the card to
Sangoma and they will upgrade it for you or send you a HWEC version and
charge you the difference.  If you phone Sangoma they will be able to answer
that more difinitively.