[asterisk-users] Info: Nokia E65 working with Asterisk

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 03:28:54 MST 2007

Hi,
Just for information on compatibility:
Earlier this week I got a Nokia E65 which supports WiFi and SIP.

I got the WiFi side configured to work with an access point after several
attempts.
This eventually had to be done using all manual settings, as using it's
config wizard gave WEP Key errors despite many attempts and careful
verification.

It's WiFi system is not particularly sensitive, it does not detect an AP at
the far side of the building that is quite useable from the this location by
a typical notebook PC.
This may be an advantage, as it's not going to connect to anything with a
weak signal that could drop out with movement.

I set up a standard SIP extension for it in asterisk via freepbx.

Some of the phone's SIP settings are less than obvious, at least to me (i.e.
where to put the Asterisk box's IP), but I found an excellent guide here:
http://newlc.com/Using-SIP-with-Nokia-Series60-and.html

After adjusting the settings in line with that, it works perfectly.
I've also set to be permanently registered so it's available for incoming
calls while in range.

I have left the default for outgoing calls to be the mobile network.
To make a call via the Asterisk PBX, you need to enter the number then press
the 'options' key, select 'Call' & go to 'Internet Call'.

Voice quality is excellent and I've not had any problems with it so far.

Robert Jenkins.