[asterisk-users] VoIP over Alvarion Wireless

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Mar 7 06:34:52 MST 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Matt wrote:

> Hi,
> This question isn't specifically asterisk related, but perhaps someone here
> can shed some light or offer some insight.
> Is anyone else here running VoIP over Alvarion wireless?    If yes, do you
> have any suggestions for what you've done to make it "work"?   It seems that
> no amount of traffic shaping, checking installs for error rates, lowering
> error rates, or setting contention windows makes VoIP work.     It just
> plain blows over Alvarion wireless gear.   Cable and DSL?  Yup.. it works
> great.    Wireless?  Forget it, pickup your cell phone.

Many many moons ago I was involved with community WiFi broadband systems
and we used a variety of wireless systems for "backhaul" I think we
trialled Alvarion but never used it - we did use Orthogon, WiLAN and
Apperto kit though.

The biggest issues we had (with both the consumer facing WiFi and the more
industrial "backhaul" kit) at the time were to do with the packet size and
the units ability to cope with small packets. At the nuts & bolts level,
all the low-end stuff is really half-duplex, so there is a link
turn-around-time, and if that exceeds the packet send time, then you're in
trouble - VoIP typically requires a full duplex link with small packets
going in both directions - you can emulate full duplex with a half duplex
link if you can do the turn-around quick enough and/or accept a lower
overall data rate, higher latency, etc., but I'm guessing here that the
Alvarion kit can't cope - they are typically optimised to stream large
quantities of data in full sized MTU packets back to back. (so streaming
video and audio seems great, but interactive audio is less-so).

Increasing the packet size at the end points may help, if possible - but
I'm not sure where to start - Grandstream phones have a "Voice Frames per
TX:" parameter, but I've no idea whether that (or it's equivalent
elsewhere) would help, or just make things like latency worse...

Things may have changed in the 3 years since I was actively involved in
this though, but we spent a lot of time playing with iperf and various
makes of links and so on. (and daisy-chaining links back to back, which we
found was a really bad thing to do with the 802.11b kit we were using -
each hop would halve the throughput )-: So one kiddy running a video phone
application killed everything else, or another kiddy doing huge uploads
would kill it for people trying to do downloads. Traffic shaping helped,
but it really needs to be done at the access point level, and not 2-3 hops
further up the network where our routers were typically positioned.

If you want good PtP backhaul kit, then get Motorola Canopy units, but I
used to work for them (before the company was bought by motorola) so I may
be biased ;-)

Gordon