[asterisk-users] RE: Linksys PAP2 and Caller ID

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Tue Mar 6 22:50:13 MST 2007

> Can I use my Linksys PAP2 with asterisk and an analog CLIP phone to
> show the Caller number on the phone.
> There's a "Caller ID Method:" option on Regional settings, but I
> tested all options, and my CLIP phone never shows the Caller number...

It should work fine.

First, verify that you have for Line 1 (if phone connected to port 1):
CID Serv: yes
CIDCW Serv: yes
and for User 1:
CID Setting: yes
CIDCW Setting: yes

Of course, you must not answer until several seconds after the first
ring completes.  If you are using distinctive ring (or Default Ring is
not 1), there are many subtleties that may be causing your trouble;
try without it.

If no luck, use a butt-set or similar to check whether CID modem
tones are present after the first ring.

If yes:
Test the phone on a POTS line or another service to be sure CID is
working ok.  If so, try playing with ringing voltage, frequency, or
waveform.

If no:
Use SIP Debug (or networking tools) to look at the SIP received by
the PAP2; confirm that Asterisk is sending valid CID info.

--Stewart