[asterisk-users] So does 1.4.1 show up in the /branches/1.4, or only in the tags/1.4.1

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sun Mar 4 15:15:27 MST 2007

Brad Templeton wrote:
> Yup, typically it's a changelog and significant changes are noted along
> with version number bumps.
>
> I'm presuming the /branch/1.4 is "the latest stable version of 1.4
> with the latest patches."    Since there is a 1.4.1 it means it is
> also 1.4.1 with the latest patches -- or so I presume.

The 1.4 branch is where we continue putting bug fixes as issues arise.
As we do releases we make a snapshot of the branch, which becomes a tag.
So 1.4.1 is a snapshot of the 1.4 branch at a specific revision.

> Having a file means people can look at see what they have, without
> having to ask here :-)   Now that I know I can interpret what it
> means.    I'm assuming that the latest /branch/1.4 is "the one to run"
> if you want a stable system with all known and tested patches and
> fixes but only modest new functionality -- or should one really be running
> /tags/1.4.1 and regularly updating your tag in order to get that?

If you are using a tag checkout an update won't get you anything as it's
a snapshot that isn't modified. If you are running the 1.4 branch then
an update will get you the latest bug fixes. Note that the 1.4 branch
*only* gets bug fixes. It does not get new functionality.

Hopefully this enlightens you a bit.

Joshua Colp
Software Developer
Digium, Inc.