[asterisk-users] So does 1.4.1 show up in the /branches/1.4, or only in the tags/1.4.1

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Sun Mar 4 12:51:48 MST 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:50:48AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Brad Templeton wrote:
> > I did an svn up and there are new files, but nothing in the change
> > files about it being 1.4.1.    Many packages with various minor
> > versions tend to have the master branch (like 1.4) mean "The latest
> > stable version of 1.4, be it 1.4.0 or 1.4.whatever", while if you
> > check out 1.4.1 that means you stay at 1.4.1 even if there is a 1.4.8.
>
> You will never see ChangeLog files in the branches in our Subversion
> repository, because we only create them in the tags as we make releases.
>
> Since you didn't give us the output of 'svn info', we don't know what
> you have already checked out... but if you checked out
> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4, then you have
> everything that is in Asterisk 1.4.1 plus whatever changes have been
> committed to the 1.4 branch since the release was made.

Thanks, Kevin.  Yes, I have http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.4.
I was running /trunk before but it wasn't stable enough to be a production
system (no surprise.)  I am presuming that the above is intended to be
stable in this fashion.

In many packages there is some file (usually the change log) which always
tells you what version of the program you have in your hands, in terms
of the program's current version number -- of course you can see the
svn revision numbers and dates but they don't trivially translate.