[asterisk-users] Multiple simultaneous calls

Steve Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 2 06:38:50 MST 2007

Stefano Totaro,

Off topic.  I just noticed your name and was a little surprised!? ;-)
Are you in Italy / Sicily?

Anyways, you can achieve overhead paging through a sound card hooked to
an Amp and speakers from your PBX.  I have yet to do it but have read
about it.  I think this may be the better solution for you unless you
are set on doing it over IP.

Check here for several options
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Paging+and+Intercom

I am pretty sure if you use a ring group or meetme, there is no way
around each phone having it's own stream.

Interestingly, 3Com systems do conferencing and paging through multicast
which is a nice idea but in practice can be a real pain to configure
network components to work properly (especially if you do not control
the network or you are trying to implement paging between remote
offices).  I have spent hours on this exact problem in the past.

If it were me, I would probably not want all that traffic on the PBX
unless that is all that it will be doing or if you go the sound card
route.  I would use ices2 and let everyone stream from a different
server than the PBX.

Since you are using phones, I do not know that ices2 would work for you,
something must initiate the call.  I would probably have a second
Asterisk box to just handle the paging, setup an extension the dialplan
of the main PBX to dial the paging machine via SIP (and possibly include
Authenticate) that would drop the call into something like this:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+page

Thanks,
Steve Totaro