[asterisk-users] Linking Asterisk with another SIP PBX (or SIP Softswitch)

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 29 07:55:03 CDT 2007

Hi Noah;

The reason that I am asking wether I need to determine
the context is what I read in the documentation (about
configuring outbound IAX connections), it did not
mention the context at all, please read the below
paragraph (I copy it from the documentation and paste
it):

Configuring Outbound IAX Connections:

While an IAX user receives inbound calls; an IAX peer
is used to place outbound calls. This section will set
up iax.conf and extensions.conf so that you can place
calls.

iax.conf Configuration:
The following entry in iax.conf can be used to place a
call on the FWD network:
[iaxfwd]
type=peer
host=iax2.fwdnet.net
username=<fwd-account-number>
secret=<fwd-account-password>
qualify=yes
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm
allow=ilbc
allow=g726

As you see that no context written in the iaxfwd peer
configuration, so how it will work? Is it because the
type is peer?

Regards
Bilal

> If I need to do a trunk between Asterisk and another
> SIP softswitch (so Asterisk will send a SIP calls to
> that softswitch), then I have to configure this on
the
> sip.conf file

Yes.

> And is it the same
> when I configure iax trunk?

Not exactly the same, but very close.  Here's a page
on how to connect
Asterisk to Cisco Call Manager using SIP:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Cisco+CallManager+Integration

> Should I determine the context in this case for this
> SIP trunk?

Yes.

- Noah