[asterisk-users] setup multiple phones for 1 extension

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Thu Jun 28 14:16:39 CDT 2007

I'll start by saying I'm a trixbox user, and a new one at that, so
hopefully you can respond to me on those terms.

I have a user who works from home 1 day a week.  On that day I'd like
for him to be able to connect with a softphone and be reachable by just
dialing his extension as we normally would.  I could set him up a new
extension, then he could forward his phone there on those days.  But I'd
like an easier, more transparent way to do it.

So I'd like that whenever his softphone is connected ("registered" is
the term I believe), that dialing his extension would ring his desk
phone and his softphone (at the same time).  If the softphone isn't
connected, then of course just the desk phone would ring.  To do this,
do I need to setup his extension to actually be a ring group, and give
him two separate extensions, then put those in the ring group?  Is that
the best way to do it?  Or could he just log on twice with the same
extension/secret?

Thanks,
-Ryan