[asterisk-users] Caller ID Spoofing to be banned in the USA

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Jun 28 11:42:12 CDT 2007

Dean Collins wrote:

> Anyone running caller id spoofing applications in the USA running
> asterisk?
>
> Then it’s time to move them to Canada or similar.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070627-caller-id-spoofing-about-to-be-outlawed.html

Why it means nothing...

You're a carrier doing VoIP... Say a managed carrier. You
re-sell trunks. One of those trunks maintains their own PBX.
PBX admin decides to spoof out and is using a proxy say in
India. Hell make it Tor for that matter. What's to prosecute?
Prove it happened from where you say it did - remember the
burden is on the prosecution.

Now as the carrier (me) first thing I'm going to do is track
down which trunk it came from... Then go to that client...
So what happens if say the client was legitimately "owned"
and had various "proxied" addresses committing toll fraud.

Analogy... Gun dealer sells a .45 to an authorized gun
buyer. Gun owner leaves his gun at home. Someone breaks into
his home, cracks his gun safe, uses his gun for a crime,
re-enters and places the gun back in the safe. Now its
known it wasn't the gun owner because he was witnessed by
the court system and recorded say at jury duty... What do
you do, prosecute him? For what? Negligence?

It would be humorous to see how this plays out. To me its
more or less "voting time let's sign pretend laws for
brownie points"

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato