[asterisk-users] North American voice BRI - Informal survey

Greg Oliver greg.oliver at cistera.com
Wed Jun 27 15:49:57 CDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 14:32 -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> Hi, folks:

<Snip>
> Thoughts? Who here has used BRI in North America? And when you did, what
> interface hardware did you use?
>
> -Stephen-
>
> ____

I grew up on BRI when the internet first started taking off here.  All
terminated into Ascend Pipeline 50 or 25 routers.  Gave 2 B and dynamic
128Kb/s bandwidth.

With that said, the equipment to provision BRI on a class 5 switch here
is another story.  If the building they are delivering to does not have
the right DLC cards, etc - it is usually chaeper for them to send a DS1
and pull 2 analog channels from it, and that is why you see BRI more
exxpensive.

With fiber being deployed to most buildings (or at least RTs) nowadays,
the line cards do not play a factor since the DLC has to already be
there.  At the telco I worked, it was our philosophy to put in a mux and
split out analog before going BRI.  Equipment was cheaper to maintain,
and provisioners were not burdened with 2 channel isdn.  Now we did sell
a lot of DS1 and DS3 PRIs for modem service, etc....