[asterisk-users] kore dump

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 16:49:41 CDT 2007

> I am having a problem with Asterisk frequently crashing on me as
> well.  I just run it under supervise:

But that's just a band-aid. If it crashes, it takes all calls with it.
Hardly a good thing, unless you only have 1 call at a time -- then
it's probably no the end of the world.

I still don't know what's up with the crashes but here are two
observations I made:

1) I moved the same installation from one hardware to another. On the
former hardware it would crash every 2 weeks, on average. On the new
hardware, it has not yet crashed and it has 9 weeks of uptime. Same
call volume, same devices, same network. I'm running asterisk
chroot'ed so all libraries, binaries, config files, etc. are
identical. Only the hardware and kernel are different.

2) The same old hardware has been in service for 3 years and no other
programs crash on it. Ever. It's no unusual seeing uptime for say
qmail, samba or bind of 200+ days. I have therefore reasons to believe
that the hardware is OK.

So go figure. And BTW, the crashes (based on the core dumps) are
always at a different place. There is no consistency. Right now I'm
just glad it no longer core dump on me :).

--Luki