[asterisk-users] More FAX over T1

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:20:10 CDT 2007

On 6/26/07, Lacy Moore - Aspendora <aspendora at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/26/07, Joe acquisto <joea at j4computers.com> wrote:
> >
> > One idea is to utilize DID, and have Asterisk "forward" the calls to the
> current FAX lines, preserving the DID as "Caller ID".  I am fairly sure
> Asterisk itself can do this. (The call would appear to be "from" this
> assigned ID).  If so, I could, apparently, massage Hylafax into dealing with
> each FAX based on the "Caller ID".
> >

> That's definitely an idea.  If you don't need the Caller ID on the fax
> (and in most cases, you probably don't), this might be your best
> solution.  Assuming, of course, the faxmodems on Hylafax are picking
> up the caller ID and you have Caller ID from the phone company.
>
> That would take up 2 of your PRI channels, though, per fax reception.

I think I read that you have 4 fax lines. If this is correct, then the
calculation is thus:

4 lines * 30 per month = 120 per month.

channel bank = $200 new (for faxes, I have never had a problem with zhone
CBs found at http://www.digital-loggers.com/CB.html)
2-port T1 card = $900 new, for a total of $1100 in equipment (a one-time
cost)

So, if you keep the solution going for more than 9 months, you'll come out
ahead just buying the equipment. If you pay more than $30 per month per
phone line, your break-even will be much quicker. Also, if you ever needed
to add more lines, you already can have 24 faxes through Asterisk, and your
fax server would be the bottleneck.

This is why we run all of our fax lines off of our PRI, even though our
local dialtone provider tried to convince us to buy POTS lines for each one.
At around $30 per line (not including taxes), it just doesn't add up.