[asterisk-users] Inexpensive Layer 3 Switch?

Steve Totaro stotaro at mail.schoffstall.com
Tue Jun 26 11:14:55 CDT 2007

Marty Mastera wrote:

> Any recommendations on an economical layer 3 switch? Preferably
> something that you have hands on experience with connecting to IP
> phones with attached PCs? Specifically I need the ability to set the
> VLAN in the phone to tag voice packets and to set a native VLAN on a
> per port basis on the switch to put the untagged packets from the
> attached PC into a separate VLAN.
>
> POE is not a requirement but if you have suggestions for an economical
> layer 3 switch with POE I’d be glad to hear them…so far I’m looking at
> the SFE2000 from Linksys.
>
> thanks

I have been eying the Dell webmanaged Gigabit switches. They are
inexpensive, managed, support port mirroring, VLAN, QoS, and much more.
I am probably going to get the 16 or 24 port for testing. The forwarding
rates are an often overlooked spec. $202 (currently on sale) for 16
Gigabit ports is almost too good to be true for a managed switch.

I am in no way recommending this switch since I have yet to test it but
I certainly will give it a try.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pwcnt_2716?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
16 10/100/1000 BASE-T ports
Auto-negotiation for speed, duplex mode and flow control
Auto MDI/MDIX mode and flow control
Integrated Port LEDs
Individual port controls

Performance
Switching Capacity 32.0 Gbps
Forwarding Rate 23.7 Mpps

Management
Web-based management interface
BootP/DHCP IP address management or Static IP address assignment
RMON statistics

Class of Service
Four priority queues per port
Adjustable WRR and strict priority
Layer 2 IEEE 802.1p tagging and port-based priority
Layer 3-aware prioritization using DSCP values

Security
Switch access password protection (read-only and read-write access)
Restricted IP address

VLAN
IEEE 802.1Q port-based tagging up to 64 VLANs
Honors all 4096 VLAN tags

Switching Features
Link Aggregation, up to six groups and up to four aggregated links per
group (IEEE 802.3ad)
Port mirroring (up to four source ports)
Jumbo frame support up to 9000 Bytes (2716 & 2724 only)

Availability
Firmware Uploads to the Switch
Broadcast Storm Control
Virtual Cable Tester by Marvell^®
Optical Transceiver Diagnostics

Chassis
*Dimensions:* 1.70 in (H) x 12.99 in (W) x 9.07 in (D)
*Height:* 1U rack
*Weight:* 6.16 lbs
*Voltage:* 100-240VAC, 50-60Hz

Standards Supported
IEEE802.3 CSMA/CD
IEEE802.3u 100BaseTx
IEEE802.3z/ab 1000BaseT
IEEE802.3x Flow Control
IEEE 802.1p

Environmental
Operating Temperature: 0º C to 45º C (32º F to 113º F)
Storage temperature: -20º C to 70º C (-4º F to 158º F)
Operating Humidity: 10% to 90% Relative Humidity
Storage Humidity: 10% to 95% Relate Humidity

Power
Maximum Power: 1.0A @ 100V

Once upon a time I would say "Go Cisco", but I think Dell has come a
long way with their servers and switches.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro