[asterisk-users] Inexpensive Layer 3 Switch?

John Faubion jfaubion at tx.rr.com
Tue Jun 26 02:23:09 CDT 2007

 > Any recommendations on an economical layer 3 switch?

I've been quite happy with the Netgear FS728TP ProSafe switches. These are
24 port 10/100 switches with 4 GigE ports and PoE. They also support 1000-SX
GBIC through an optional module. The total PoE budget for all 24 port is 195
watts. We run 38 GXP2000 phones on a pair of them. We have one with 19
phones and a DLink DWL-3200AP wireless access point drawing power and the
current load is under 75 watts average and has peaked at 97 watts. The other
one has 19 phones, two Ethernet cameras and draws even less. All for less
than $375 shipped. They even have a $25 rebate on them until the end of the
month. Plus they even have a Lifetime Warranty. One of the cool features I
discovered after installation was the built in Time Domain Reflectometer.
The TDR is great for testing out the cables right after installation. We
were able to use it to locate the screw that the drywallers intentionally
ran through one of our cables. It was so obvious that the contractor paid to
replace the cable. The only negative comment I have about them is the drone
of the fans. Our wall mount rack is in the break room and the switches are
easily the loudest item in the rack. They are not as loud as the Dell server
we originally bought so if your using a 1U server from Compaq, Dell, HP,
etc... you'll be fine.

John