[asterisk-users] Forcing Dial application to skip if called server is unreachable

Ricardo Carvalho rjcarvalho at reit.up.pt
Mon Jun 25 04:21:58 CDT 2007

In fact, Dial() doesn't return instantly like it should, in the case it
is used with ENUM. Dial application using the ENUMLOOKUP function
doesn't skip to the next priority like it was expected, if destination
server doesn't answer to the INVITE messages sent by our server.
For example, in the following code, if the first Dial using ENUM fails
to reach the contact's server, instead of skipping to the next priority
Dialing Zap channel instead, Asterisk keeps sending INVITE messages to
the destination server published in ENUM until dial timeout expires
(120), and only then jumps to the next priority, Dialing Zap:

exten => _X.,1,Set(sipcount=${ENUMLOOKUP(+${EXTEN},sip,c)}|counter=0)
exten => _X.,2,GotoIf($["${counter}"<"${sipcount}"]?3:6)
exten => _X.,3,Set(counter=$[${counter}+1])
exten => _X.,4,Dial(SIP/${ENUMLOOKUP(+${EXTEN},sip,${counter})})
exten => _X.,5,GotoIf($["${counter}"<"${sipcount}"]?3:6)
exten => _X.,6,Dial(Zap/g1/${EXTEN})

Is this an Asterisk BUG or is it there some way I can solve this problem?

Regards,
Ricardo.

Alex Balashov wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, rjcarvalho at reit.up.pt wrote:
>

>> Is it possible to force the Dial function to skip to the next priority if it
>> doesn't find the server of the called contact within a few seconds?
>>
>> I know I can use:
>> Dial(Technology/resource[&Tech2/resource2...][|timeout][|options][|URL])
>> where I can use some short timeout in the "timeout" option, but if I do so,
>> when some call is well succeeded, it will only ring for that time!
>>

>    I think you basically have to pick one or the other.  Either set a long
> timeout (15-30 sec, e.g. Dial(SIP/whatever,20) or don't use this feature.
>
>    The good news is that if the destination SIP server is actually
> unreachable, Dial() should return almost instantly, at which point it
> should jump to the failure priority.
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems