[asterisk-users] Single ringer phone for incoming calls, that anyone can answer

Tom Lanyon tom at netspot.com.au
Wed Jun 20 06:21:31 CDT 2007

Hi list,

Does anyone have any advice on the following:

Incoming calls to our office come in on a SIP trunk. Since all our
offices/desks are in close proximity, we would like just a single
phone to ring when a call comes in instead of ringing every person's
phone.

Currently we've got this working by having all the phones in a
callgroup/pickupgroup and incoming calls ring the 'ringer phone'
extension, then we can use the *8 to pickup the incoming call from
any other phone. The problem though, is that if two people in the
office call each other, *8 from a third phone also picks up their
call, which is not the desired effect.

So in essence, I'm asking whether there's a better way to pickup an
incoming call from our external SIP trunk, whilst its ringing only a
specific extension, without picking up overlapping internal calls?

Regards,
Tom