[asterisk-users] 180 Ringing with SDP

Raj Jain rj2807 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 05:38:54 CDT 2007

180 w/ SDP is valid, although not ideal. 183 w/ SDP is a better choice for
early-media. The SIP specifications do not dictate what a UAC should do when
it receives 180 w/ SDP. It depends on the policy implemented in the UAC.

As far as Asterisk is concerned, it could treat 180 w/ SDP same as 183 w/
SDP. However, there should be a global flag in sip.conf that controls
whether SDP in 180 should be interpreted (early media played) or ignored
(local ring back generated).

Here is a sample policy from RFC 3960 (this doesn't exactly talk about 180
w/ SDP but suggests what a UAC can do when it receives early-media packets
in conjunction w/ a 180 response):

   With this in mind, a UAC should develop its local policy regarding
   local ringing generation.  For example, a POTS ("Plain Old Telephone
   Service")-like SIP User Agent (UA) could implement the following
   local policy:

      1. Unless a 180 (Ringing) response is received, never generate
         local ringing.

      2. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received but there are no incoming
         media packets, generate local ringing.

      3. If a 180 (Ringing) has been received and there are incoming
         media packets, play them and do not generate local ringing.

         Note that a 180 (Ringing) response means that the callee is
         being alerted, and a UAS should send such a response if the
         callee is being alerted, regardless of the status of the early
         media session.

Thanks,

Raj