[asterisk-users] Asterisk GUI

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jun 17 04:46:13 CDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 08:22:23AM +0100, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> >> CLI is useful for small/simple "dial" tone installations. Anything
> >> above that even very competent administrator will make
> >> syntax/logical errors.
> >
> > Hence automation is required. Automation does not imply GUI.
> > Bad GUIs get in the way of automation.

Indeed incorrect phrasing. The GUI is not directly related to that.
A bad system may include a GUI that is very convinient for a small
number of objects, but get in the way of applying unexpected types of
changes.

Another typical situation is that a system is built with a certain flow
in mind, and that flow is not good enough for all the cases. And often
makes many simple tasks complicated.

> Automation is another subject/scope. However, GUI is collection of knowledge
> and experience. If applied correctly it can only improve the company
> offerings.
>
> I have personally spent years learning CLI in order to apply it to initial
> design of our GUI- PBXware.
> Thousands installation after, I have no full knowledge of CLI any more and I
> do not need to. It is embedded into PBXware and our team has collective
> knowledge of the whole solution. That is something CLI can NOT offer since
> detailed knowledge/training is required individually from the vary basics.
> That translates into:
>
> GUI - team/company knowledge, less training, faster time to market
> CLI - knowledge of individual / unnecessary dependency/training /longer time
> to market

Actually, you need specific training of the specific system, as well as
ability to debug generic Asterisk problems.

Not to mention the poor souls who need to support a varity of systems.
For them those systems just add complexity.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com