[asterisk-users] Asterisk GUI

Senad Jordanovic senad at bicom.us
Sun Jun 17 02:22:23 CDT 2007

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 08:55:24PM +0100, Senad Jordanovic wrote:
>> Brett Crapser wrote:

>>> Senad - it is really to cover the inability of 'average' people to
>>> understand CLI.
>>
>> CLI is useful for small/simple "dial" tone installations. Anything
>> above that even very competent administrator will make
>> syntax/logical errors.
>
> Hence automation is required. Automation does not imply GUI.
> Bad GUIs get in the way of automation.

Automation is another subject/scope. However, GUI is collection of knowledge
and experience. If applied correctly it can only improve the company
offerings.

I have personally spent years learning CLI in order to apply it to initial
design of our GUI- PBXware.
Thousands installation after, I have no full knowledge of CLI any more and I
do not need to. It is embedded into PBXware and our team has collective
knowledge of the whole solution. That is something CLI can NOT offer since
detailed knowledge/training is required individually from the vary basics.
That translates into:

GUI - team/company knowledge, less training, faster time to market
CLI - knowledge of individual / unnecessary dependency/training /longer time
to market

Senad