[asterisk-users] Community PBX?

Gonzalo Servat gservat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 15:47:10 CDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Kyle Sexton <ks at mocker.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone out there is running a community PBX for their
> local Asterisk User Groups or area Linux groups.  I've been thinking of
> setting one up but am stuck as to what services to provide that people would
> actually find useful.  I know that I could setup simple SIP->SIP to allow
> everyone to call each other, but that's not generally too fun.

.. and about 500 million other places already offer this :)

One suggestion would be to setup something like a "virtual office" where you
could allow users to point their DIDs to their SIP/IAX account on your
server and receive calls, maybe allow free calls to freecall destinations,
voicemail, stuff like that.

As an example of a community project, there's www.voipuser.org which, I
think, had the right idea. They turn their income from inbound calls into
outbound minutes for the community to use. Pretty smart!

- Gonzalo