[asterisk-users] Scaling Asterisk: Dual-Core CPUs not yielding gains at high call volumes

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Fri Jun 15 10:18:41 CDT 2007

Matthew J. Roth wrote:
> In the meantime, I'm looking for insights as to what would cause
> Asterisk (or any other process) to idle at the same value, despite
> having similar workloads and twice as many CPUs available to it.  I'll
> be working on benchmarking Asterisk from very low to very high call
> volumes so any suggestions or tips, such as how to generate a large
> number of calls or what statistics I should gather, would also be
> appreciated.

I am very curious if using this library on your system will help
increase the load you are able to put on the dual core system.

http://www.hoard.org/

People that are running Asterisk on Solaris have noted that using the
mtmalloc library allows for much higher call density.  I am hoping that
hoard will let the people running Asterisk on Linux see similar
performance improvements, but I have yet to convince anyone to give it a
try and let me know how it goes.  :)

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer