[asterisk-users] app_rxfax vs (iaxmodem+hylafax)

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jun 15 10:06:49 CDT 2007

Paradise Dove wrote:
> can anybody help me to choose the most reliable fax solution for * .
> after googling the net i  found that there are at least two solutions
> for this, app_rxfax+spandsp  and iaxmodem+hylafax.
>
> - what's the differences between these two?
> - which one's better? why?

app_rxfax+spandsp fits inside asterisk, and sends and receives TIFF
files. 3rd party bits and pieces can integrate it with an e-mail
environment.

iaxmodem+spandsp+hylafax works as a IAX port on a network. It uses the
same spandsp engine for its front end, but hylafax for its back end. If
you want to use hylafax clients, this would be the appropriate choice.
Also, it does a couple of things app_rxfax won't currently do, like
colour faxing.

Spandsp can do T.38, but not inside Asterisk, and currently not with
Hylafax. T.38 for Hylafax might be added, but integrating T.38 with a
class 1 FAX modem interface for Hylafax is an awful bodge. The t38modem
program from openh323 does this, and it has to do some nasty things to
work. :-\

Steve