[asterisk-users] Slightly OT:CSU on Digium cards, and it's requirement

Nick Seraphin asterisk at eaglequest.com
Thu Jun 14 23:10:47 CDT 2007

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, C F wrote:

> > Bottom line is, no matter what the FCC says... and if somehow you managed
> > to get it to work without a CSU... I believe the phone company would have
> > a fit if they knew you connected equipment to their network without a CSU
> > on it.  They're very big on standards-compliance and stuff like that.
> > Sometime look into their rules and regs about colocating equipment inside
> > one of their CO's...  it's very very strict.
>
> The last thing you say is why I am asking this question. The
> compliance doesn't realy bother me that much, what I am afraid is if
> the provider notices this and decides to cut it because of that.

Whether they would actually cut you off or not probably depends on A) if
they find out about it, and B) whoever finds out about it is a strict
play-by-the-rules kinda guy and/or has a grudge against you or is having a
bad day.  A lot of telco employees tend to "look the other way"...
especially if it's not their job to care about it.

But... they would have every right to terminate the service if you don't
have proper equipment connected to their network.  So if they DID decide
to terminate it, they would legally have the right to do so, and you would
have no recourse other than possibly to purchase the correct equipment and
maybe pay a reconnect fee to get service turned back on, which may take
days/weeks/whatever time frame to do so.

So it's basically a question of, can you afford the downtime caused by
them shutting you off if/when they ever found out and/or cared enough to
"follow the rules".

The other possibility, considering it is working for you now, is that
there IS a CSU built in but they don't want to tell you... maybe for
example because it's not FCC certified... or so that they can charge you
for an external CSU.

-- Nick