[asterisk-users] Slightly OT:CSU on Digium cards, and it's requirement

C F shmaltz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:51:32 CDT 2007

On 6/14/07, Nick Seraphin <asterisk at eaglequest.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, C F wrote:

> > > <sarcasm>
> > > Dang shmaltz.  You've convinced us - we've all been wasting our
> > > precious money on CSUs this whole time.  We're all idiots!
> > > </sarcasm>
> > >
> > > Seriously - if you're so sure about your card not having a CSU, what
> > > is the make/model?  Pony up, man.
> >
> > It's a Panasonic KX-TA0187 for T1, or KX-TA02290
> >
> > The docs and technicians say it doesn have one AND that the FCC
> > requires it. Hence my qeustion does the FCC require it.
>

> I think what he's referring to is really the KX-TD187... which is a T1
> interface module for the Panasonic KX-TD1232 Digital Hybrid Phone System
> (I have one of these systems, but not the T1 module).

No, I am reffering to KX-TA0187 which is a T1 card for the Panaosnic
KX-TDA line. and the KX-TA0290 which is a PRI card for the Panasonic
KX-TDA line.

> Now there is a KX-TA1232 analog system, and maybe there was a KX-TA187
> module for it that has since been discontinued... but I think he meant the
> digital one.
>
> http://www.ablecomm.com/t1isdideq.html
>
> They do SAY it doesn't have a CSU... but it's beyond my understanding of
> how it could possibly work without one.
>
> They seem to sell a separate "CSU module" that can go with it.  Maybe he's
> just not seeing the extra little box because there's more wire between
> that and the demarc?
>
> Was this a system that was already installed for you?  Or did you install
> it yourself?  Maybe the CSU is external and you just didn't recognize/see
> it there?

No, I installed the system, it goes from smart jack to the PRI card in
the Panasonic KX-TDA200 thru the 0290 card

> When I first started working with T1's, most CSU's were external.  I still
> have several of them in storage in fact... and I still use external
> CSU/DSU's on my production network today. :-)  I'm typing this message and
> it will be sent over a T1 connected to 2 external CSU's before it reaches
> the internet.
>
> Bottom line is, no matter what the FCC says... and if somehow you managed
> to get it to work without a CSU... I believe the phone company would have
> a fit if they knew you connected equipment to their network without a CSU
> on it.  They're very big on standards-compliance and stuff like that.
> Sometime look into their rules and regs about colocating equipment inside
> one of their CO's...  it's very very strict.

The last thing you say is why I am asking this question. The
compliance doesn't realy bother me that much, what I am afraid is if
the provider notices this and decides to cut it because of that.