[asterisk-users] My Kernel

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Jun 14 17:16:06 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 03:02:20PM -0700, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I did yum install kernel and yum install kernel-devel,
> now when I type 'uname' -a I have the following:
>
> [root at localhost /]# 'uname' -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp #1
> SMP Tue Mar 14 16:05:46 EST 2006 i686 i686 i386
> GNU/Linux

Original kernel of FC5, I believe.

> And when I type rpm -q kernel, then I have the
> followig:
>
> [root at localhost /]# rpm - q kernel
> kernel-2.6.20-1.2319.fc5

That's a far more decent kernel version.

> So the question now is: what is my kernel that my
> system is using it? And how I can make my system use
> the latest updated kernel?

You have installed a new kernel but have not yet booted your system from
it. Your system is using 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp .

(For newer versions I expect there to be no  separate smp kernel
version as the default kernel will now support SMP with no unnecessary
overhead)

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org